Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Great Barrier Reef

Sorry for the long wait between posts. Classes have been a little overwhelming recently and we just went on about a week trip, which part of it included the Great Barrier Reef. As you can probably guess, thats what this is going to be about...so lets get started!

We got to the dock in Airlie Beach and then boarded a catamarran called Wings. At the beginning of the trip I was nervous because I have a history of getting very seasick. Thankfully, and luckily, I didnt get sick or even feel sick on this trip. I'm just going to put in a little promotion for Seabands, they work REALLY good...highly recommended. But anyways, we got on the boat and immediately headed out to sea. We went to numerous bays and got a chance to scuba and snorkle. They were definately unforgettable. It was very different being able to breath underwater. The first time I tried, I kind of freaked out, but after I got used to it, the whole experience was awesome! While in the water, we saw some nemos (clown fish), some sea anemone, lots of coral, some coral fish (the prettiest fish I have ever seen, the colors were amazing), a squid, and a couple sea turltes. The sea turtles were my favorite. I had no idea how graceful they were in the water. I knew they were good swimmers, but not THAT good. They made it look like they were just floating in the water. The whole time we were on the boat, we all wanted to see a whale and dolphin. We had no luck with that...until...on the way back we saw BOTH! Someone screamed whale and we all went running. The whale was a baby whale. He was just up on the surface splashing around his big tale showing off. Then someone screamed dolphins and we all went running again! They were just bobbing in and out of the water. It was so cool!

Another of my favorite parts of the trip was the sunsets and sunrises (unfortunately I did wake up early enough for them). The shades of the sunsets and sunrises were so vibrant. It looked like God had graffitied the sky with yellow, orange, pink, and purple. The night sky was also beautiful! I dont think I have ever seen anymore stars than that, maybe on the mountain climbing trips. But you could look up and see a million stars. Incredible!!

But that is about all for now, I have to go take a test, oh boy! Hope all is well with everyone back home. Love you guys!

1 comment:

Scotty and Summer Roller said...

Dearest Michael:

You may not remember me, but this is Scotty...I check everyday, anxiously anticipating your next post on here, in hopes that I can hear about the wonderful times you are having 'down under.' However, you seem to be having SUCH an AMAZING time you forget to tell all of your viewers about it.

Hope you are having a great time,

Cordially,

Scotty